Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Deogratias: a tale of Rwanda by Jean-Phillipe Stassen:



This graphic novel takes place during and after the Rwandan genocide and is told in alternating clips between the present and flashbacks by Deogratias, the title character.


I expected an overview of the war from a more historical perspective, but the book turned out to capture the experience of a single individual, Deogratias, who was affected very profoundly by his experiences. The extent to which he has become disturbed isn’t clear until the very end of the story.


This is a book that requires at least a second reading, once the reader has placed all the characters and the chronology. I felt like I was struggling with the plot for a good portion of the book, but once I had it figured out it made a lot more sense and I realized how sad the whole story really is.


Despite its status as fiction, Deogratias is an important historical work and should be part of any collection that caters especially to teens. With each rereading, I felt like I got deeper and deeper into the plot, deeper even than I was sure I wanted to be. I also came to a new understanding of some of the violence in Rwanda, a subject for which most of my knowledge comes from Don Cheadle.

No comments:

Post a Comment